2008-02-14

pretty....

So maybe I'm bored. But check this out -- dreamy, no?

As I wrap up Cat's Eye, I have a couple quotes to share....

"... chivalry in men is idiocy in women: men can get out of a rescue a lot more easily, once they get into it." (p. 320)

"Most mothers worry when their daughters reach adolescence, but I was the opposite. I relaxed, I sighed with relief. Little girls are cute and small only to adults. To one another they are not cute. They are life-sized." (p. 133)

*Spoiler warning*

I've just read the part, in the present, when Elaine sleeps with her ex-husband. I find this fascinating and blurry. I find it cloudy and unreasonable and despite the author's best explanation I can't understand it.

"I don't feel I'm being disloyal to (my husband), only loyal to something else; which pre-dates him, which has nothing to do with him. An old score." (p. 414)

Epic tales of a man's life always seem to have adventure, world-conquering adventure. Women's epics always seem to have sex. And not even wild, random sex with multiple partners like you might find in a different kind of men's epic novel. Rather, it's slightly experimental but ultimately sad and unfulfilling.

No comments: