2010-07-25

the bomb party

Last book club today before I leave for London, and we discussed Graham Greene's Dr. Fischer of Geneva or The Bomb Party.

Greene emphasizes, throughout, that this is a story of human greed. He argues, again and again, that rich people can be greedier than poor.

Leaving that book -- and I'm warning you now, I will spoil the ending, so stop reading this post if this is a book you want to read -- I feel like I forgot to ask why Fischer killed himself?

Can it have been so simple as loneliness? Or having seen proof of the power of human greed? I feel like there was no specific reason for Fischer to have ended his life, at least no specific reason that set apart that particular night from any other. Am I missing something?

In other book news, I also wrapped up The Third Angel this week. It's a lovely read, though not nearly as straight-forward as Greene's. Alice Hoffman's stories are like dreams -- ephemeral and, somehow, just out of reach.

One of the character's in the book is an author, who mentions again and again that her children's story can be read backwards to make for a happy ending. (Read straight-forward, it has a sad ending.) Similarly, one might consider taking a second stab at The Third Angel back-to-front, in the name of continuity and, indeed, a happier conclusion.

In other news:

If I were to look forward to one Fringe show, I think it might be "The Survival of Pigeons As Observed By Human Lovers" from Surreal SoReal Theatre. Or "Death: Live!" (Yes, there were previews of both Saturday night at the Roxy.)

Mad Men is back! I literally couldn't wait all day to watch tonight's episode and see the new set. Detailed recaps of Episode 1 here and here.

No comments: