2008-04-27

diaspora en vogue

Not to get too dramatic about it, but every month I slowly pore through Vogue. I study the shoes I can't possibly afford (unless I want to forgo rent, or become Bloomwoodially useless), and read the nostalgia pieces that actually do make me think differently about classic jewellery, or pictures of 60s-era rockstars, or even my own body. I ponder the political stories that manage to have this really fashion-related bent, and I wonder if these pieces have anything to do with feminism, and then I wonder if it's un-feminist to question that....

Anyway, April's issue of Vogue had a treat for anyone who loves to read, and specifically anyone who loves to read Jhumpa Lahiri's work.

As written by Megan O'Grady:

"Jhumpa Lahiri was flying home from a book tour when the inspiration for the title story of Unaccustomed Earth (Knopf) struck. 'I was 30,000 feet in the air, looking out the little window at the clouds,' says the Pulitzer Prize-winning author, whose enormous eyes, the color of a slightly oxidized penny, give the impression of taking in the larger view. 'Suddenly I had entered the mind of a character: a man going to visit his daughter and grandson after his wife's death.'

"It's a fittingly lofty point of origin for these peripatetic, sweeping stories -- Lahiri's best yet -- which move from Boston to Bombay and back again to evoke intricate topologies of emotion and characters who often feel more at home abroad. As in her previous work -- the extraordinary debut story collection The Interpreter of Maladies and her heartfelt novel The Namesake (which was made into a film by Mira Nair) -- the dislocations between Indian parents and their American-born children come under scrutiny, but now those children are adults having children, like Lahiri herself, the mother of Octavio, five, and Noor, three."

No comments: