2007-04-25

who is Kathleen Tynan?

I grudgingly admire this excerpt from Bridget Jones's Diary, in part because I too sometimes have delusions of grandeur. I sometimes wonder to myself, "What would Kelly Kapowski do?"

I read in an article that Kathleen Tynan, late wife of late Kenneth, had 'inner poise' and, when writing, was to be found immaculately dressed, sitting at a small table in the centre of the room sipping at a glass of chilled white wine. Kathleen Tynan would not, when late with a press release for Perpetua, lie fully dressed and terrified under the duvet, chain-smoking, glugging cold sake out of a beaker and putting on make-up as a hysterical displacement activity. Kathleen Tynan would not allow Daniel Cleaver to sleep with her whenever he felt like it but not be her boyfriend. Nor would she become insensible with drink and be sick. Wish to be like Kathleen Tynan (though not, obviously, dead). (p. 89)

Oh, Bridge/Helen Fielding. Excellent points all round. You're growing on me, you saucy minx (although still mostly because I picture Hugh Grant as Daniel).

No comments: